Monday, January 19, 2009

Week 22

So first a belly update--it is out control--it has really started growing over the past couple of weeks. For reference the smaller picture is me at 10 weeks pregnant and then the second one is at about 22 1/2 weeks. I'm sure it is going to be getting bigger and bigger. I had my monthly doctor's appointment and everything is good. We decided to do the 3d/4d ultrasound and we will do that between 27-32 weeks and will hopefully get some good pictures like the sample below. There is no guarentee that the baby will be in a good position and we have to pay out of pocket for the whole cost. I think it is worth a shot. I think how wierd would it be to be able to see pictures of myself like that before I was even born. We also signed up for our childbirth prep class. It is taught by one of the obgyn nurse practitioners in my doctor's office and we get to tour the hospital. Yes, Ami is going with me and I think he is quite traumatized by the whole thought. You go from the shock of being pregnant to adjusting to your body and then the thought of actually getting the baby out is quite unbelievable. I can't even imagine myself in that situation, but I guess she will have to come out eventually. Keep reading for other things I have learned this week.


Here is what I've learned this week from http://www.whattoexpect.com/:





As if an ever-expanding belly wasn't enough — now your feet are getting in on the act! That's because the pregnancy hormone relaxin, which loosens your pelvic ligaments when you're expecting, loosens every other ligament too — including the ones in your tootsies. In turn, the bones beneath those ligaments spread slightly, which results, for many women, in a half or whole shoe-size increase. So if you haven't already stashed away your stilettos, now's the time to bid farewell — at least for a while. Besides, you need sensible shoes to help you balance that big belly and your changing center of gravity. (I haven't noticed my feet growing, but have found myself wearing alot more flats, and not caring about how they look).




Guess what? At 22 weeks pregnant, your baby has finally broken the one-pound mark. How heavy is that? Hold a one-pound box of sugar in your hand the next time you're in the grocery story (and expect people to ask you why you're grinning from ear to ear). Is the box eight inches long? That's about the length your baby is too! This week, your sweetie is making more sense of the world as he or she develops the sense of touch. In fact, your little one's grip is quite developed by now — and since there's nothing else to grab in utero, he or she may sometimes hold on tight to that umbilical cord (don't worry — it's tough enough to handle it). The sense of sight is also getting more developed. Your fetus can now perceive light and dark much better than before (even with those fused eyelids). But remember — unless you're shining a flashlight over your belly (which you can do, by the way), it'll be mostly dark for your baby inside that cozy womb of yours.
Moving up from the eyes, the eyelashes and eyebrows are well formed now — and even more hair is sprouting atop that cute little head. You'd be quite surprised, though, if you could see your little one up close and in color. Hair at this stage of fetal development has no pigment, so it's bright white.

1 comment:

January Bibbey said...

You will LOVE your birthing class!!! We realy enjoyed it and it really made it real, especially if you watch a movie of it. Have you dtarted watching all the delivery shows like Birth Day? I was obsessed with them!!!

Let's get together soon....maybe Wed if Mark doesn't get called in to work or Friday next week????